You will read the text pages that I request. For this assignment read pages 113-116 the specified pages you will need to complete the assignment will be added to this posting as an attachment. You will then provide a detailed outline of the material and a personal summary or impression of what was covered. The detailed outline will be a minimum of 3 pages. Be sure to include text content that is located in “call out areas” or boxes in the text. Answer must be in Microsoft Word and must be an original answer no plagiarism. There will be no plagiarism!!! Indicate the page numbers you’ve outlined in the subject line of your post. Ive posted an example of what the teacher expects. You have to use this format and Quick Note: You will notice that the textbook assigned to this class uses Wikipedia as a resource. However, I want to point out that you should not use Wikipedia as a source for your coursework. Heres an article discussing the limitations of Wikipedia.
Example: Science in the Social Sciences
The textbook begins with a quote from Albert Einstein: Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform system of thought (p. 5).
– Truth is not created. It is discovered. Science is an organized attempt to discover truth.
The book clarifies the 3 main categories of science:
1) Natural: study of natural phenomena (cosmological, geological, chemical, biological, etc.)
2) Formal: study of math and logic that use an a priori, rather than factual, methodology (basically, a priori is knowledge that we have and can apply , rather than needing to measure something to gain knowledge about it)
3) Social: study of human behavior and sciences
Einstein was a theoretical physicist; this falls under formal sciences. He did not like things that were unpredictable an he was bothered by chaos. He tried to find ways to predict the unpredictable.
In this class:
We are interested in social sciences, and in particular how that knowledge can be applied to help systems of all sizes. Human services apply methods and findings from social science to improve the lives of people (individuals, groups such as families, and larger social context communities).
At the same time, all sciences have a lot in common. The textbook discusses the example of chaos theory. Chaos theory is a branch of mathematics (which is a science itself). Chaos theory deals with conditions where prediction is not possible.
– Chaotic diversity describes things on the quantum level and the human condition
– Chaos theory has implications when working with people; this was recently realized
– Human Services dislike chaos; we want to explain, possibly predict, and prevent human misery
* We can take another look at Einsteins quote: Science is the attempt to make the chaotic diversity of our sense-experience correspond to a logically uniform system of thought (p. 5).
He is telling us:
– we have a rich and imaginative sensory capacity that provides us with a vast way of experiencing and interpreting our world
– at the same time (from an evolutionary standpoint) our sensory capacity is built for survival in the heat of the moment, rather than cool calculation of empirical analysis
– Things like intuition and instinct are useful, but we can add science to our toolbox. Through science, we can explore our world in a way to test our assumption and theories. Science helps us increase our rational understanding of the world.
Who talks more?
Knowledge through theories/assumptions vs Knowledge through Science
Many people believe that women tend to talk more than men.
– Some have suggested the difference has a biological basis
– One estimated thats often cited is that women spoke 20,000 words p/day and men spoke 7,000 words p/day.
– The claim seemed plausible, and a group of psychologists decided to find out if it was true. What did they do?
1) Checked the literature to see if anyone had actually counted (no one had). Instead, they just found theories and assumptions that were often based on cultural stereotypes
2) Conducted a research study with 369 men and women. They concluded men and women speak roughly the same amount.
* This study is used as an example to show that research can show us that sometimes what we think is true, really isnt.
* Why is this important in the field of Human Services?
– Because what we believe about people, and how they behave, is fundamental to effectively work with clients. What we believe can sometimes be wrong, inaccurate, or incomplete.
– We should keep in mind as professionals, whenever possible, to act according to the best information that we have on hand. This means we need to be informed as to what science has empirically indicated.
Science and Human Services
Human Services is a profession, rather than a science. It draws on our professions research, as well as the research of colleagues in other disciplines such as social work, anthropology, sociology, education, etc. So, Human Services is interdisciplinary.
– Some disciplines are considered social science (like psychology) and some are considered professions (like Human Services)
– We are all engaged in research to find the best methods for helping the human condition
– Human Service professionals engage in the research process; human services practice should be based on empirical research whenever possible.
Empirically Based Research
This is considered a best practice, and Human Service practitioners should try to only use techniques, methods, and approaches that are empirically derived.
Empirically based practice means using quality research from peer reviewed sources in your professional practice. How?
– professional journals
– online databases
– continuing education
– assessing the results of your practice in an ethical way
The Emergence of Science and the Scientific Method
The scientific method is a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses. (according to Oxford Dictionaries Online)
– The method has expanded from the natural sciences into social sciences to include disciplines such as anthropology, sociology, psychology, social work, and Human Services.
A few important people in the emergence of science. Throughout history, people have struggled to make this unpredictable and sometimes dangerous place more tolerable and predictable.
– Francis Bacon (1561 1626): considered first person to conceptualize scientific method
– Galileo (1564 1642)
– Copernicus (1473 1543)
– Plato, Socrates, and Aristotle
– Knowledge has been gained slowly, but it accumulates over the years.
– The scientific method was just one innovation, but it forms the foundation for all modern research.
We have a legal, moral, and ethical responsibility to our profession, ourselves, society, and our clients to use science.
* while not all Human Service practitioners are engages in research, all practitioners are consumers of research in their personal and professional lives.
What are the Modern Features of Science?
1) Systematic Empiricism
2) Scientific Approach
3) Public Knowledge
1) Systematic Empiricism: learning based on observation.
– Scientists learn about the world by carefully planning observations, making observations, recording observations, and analyzing those observations
– A lot of what we know (which may or may not be true) is acquired haphazardly
– Within science, logical reasoning and creativity play important roles. Scientists are unique in their insistence on checking ideas about the way the world seems to be.
– Instead of knowledge through tradition, superstition, guessing, etc., science uses systematic observation to gain knowledge. Look at the Who Talks More example; the researchers did not trust other peoples stereotypes or their own informal observations. Instead, they systematically recorded, counted, and compared the number of words spoken by a large sample of women and men.
The textbook discusses the concept of science and how it relates to Human Services. Through discussion and examples, the important role that research plays in Human Services is addressed. Human Service professionals need to understand and utilize research and its scientific principles in order to effectively do their job, and not rely on informal observations, guessing, traditions, etc. for knowledge when working with clients. While Human Service practitioners may not conduct research, its crucial to understand how scientific research fits into practice. In my past work experiences, I have used the research of others, as well as conducted my own research, and so Ive found what is said on these pages to be very true. To better comprehend situations and provide the best services, practitioners need to be able to understand and utilize the concepts of social research.
Are you busy and do not have time to handle your assignment? Are you scared that your paper will not make the grade? Do you have responsibilities that may hinder you from turning in your assignment on time? Are you tired and can barely handle your assignment? Are your grades inconsistent?
Whichever your reason is, it is valid! You can get professional academic help from our service at affordable rates. We have a team of professional academic writers who can handle all your assignments.
Students barely have time to read. We got you! Have your literature essay or book review written without having the hassle of reading the book. You can get your literature paper custom-written for you by our literature specialists.
Do you struggle with finance? No need to torture yourself if finance is not your cup of tea. You can order your finance paper from our academic writing service and get 100% original work from competent finance experts.
While psychology may be an interesting subject, you may lack sufficient time to handle your assignments. Don’t despair; by using our academic writing service, you can be assured of perfect grades. Moreover, your grades will be consistent.
Engineering is quite a demanding subject. Students face a lot of pressure and barely have enough time to do what they love to do. Our academic writing service got you covered! Our engineering specialists follow the paper instructions and ensure timely delivery of the paper.
In the nursing course, you may have difficulties with literature reviews, annotated bibliographies, critical essays, and other assignments. Our nursing assignment writers will offer you professional nursing paper help at low prices.
Truth be told, sociology papers can be quite exhausting. Our academic writing service relieves you of fatigue, pressure, and stress. You can relax and have peace of mind as our academic writers handle your sociology assignment.
We take pride in having some of the best business writers in the industry. Our business writers have a lot of experience in the field. They are reliable, and you can be assured of a high-grade paper. They are able to handle business papers of any subject, length, deadline, and difficulty!
We boast of having some of the most experienced statistics experts in the industry. Our statistics experts have diverse skills, expertise, and knowledge to handle any kind of assignment. They have access to all kinds of software to get your assignment done.
Writing a law essay may prove to be an insurmountable obstacle, especially when you need to know the peculiarities of the legislative framework. Take advantage of our top-notch law specialists and get superb grades and 100% satisfaction.
We have highlighted some of the most popular subjects we handle above. Those are just a tip of the iceberg. We deal in all academic disciplines since our writers are as diverse. They have been drawn from across all disciplines, and orders are assigned to those writers believed to be the best in the field. In a nutshell, there is no task we cannot handle; all you need to do is place your order with us. As long as your instructions are clear, just trust we shall deliver irrespective of the discipline.
Our essay writers are graduates with bachelor's, masters, Ph.D., and doctorate degrees in various subjects. The minimum requirement to be an essay writer with our essay writing service is to have a college degree. All our academic writers have a minimum of two years of academic writing. We have a stringent recruitment process to ensure that we get only the most competent essay writers in the industry. We also ensure that the writers are handsomely compensated for their value. The majority of our writers are native English speakers. As such, the fluency of language and grammar is impeccable.
There is a very low likelihood that you won’t like the paper.
Not at all. All papers are written from scratch. There is no way your tutor or instructor will realize that you did not write the paper yourself. In fact, we recommend using our assignment help services for consistent results.
We check all papers for plagiarism before we submit them. We use powerful plagiarism checking software such as SafeAssign, LopesWrite, and Turnitin. We also upload the plagiarism report so that you can review it. We understand that plagiarism is academic suicide. We would not take the risk of submitting plagiarized work and jeopardize your academic journey. Furthermore, we do not sell or use prewritten papers, and each paper is written from scratch.
You determine when you get the paper by setting the deadline when placing the order. All papers are delivered within the deadline. We are well aware that we operate in a time-sensitive industry. As such, we have laid out strategies to ensure that the client receives the paper on time and they never miss the deadline. We understand that papers that are submitted late have some points deducted. We do not want you to miss any points due to late submission. We work on beating deadlines by huge margins in order to ensure that you have ample time to review the paper before you submit it.
We have a privacy and confidentiality policy that guides our work. We NEVER share any customer information with third parties. Noone will ever know that you used our assignment help services. It’s only between you and us. We are bound by our policies to protect the customer’s identity and information. All your information, such as your names, phone number, email, order information, and so on, are protected. We have robust security systems that ensure that your data is protected. Hacking our systems is close to impossible, and it has never happened.
You fill all the paper instructions in the order form. Make sure you include all the helpful materials so that our academic writers can deliver the perfect paper. It will also help to eliminate unnecessary revisions.
Proceed to pay for the paper so that it can be assigned to one of our expert academic writers. The paper subject is matched with the writer’s area of specialization.
You communicate with the writer and know about the progress of the paper. The client can ask the writer for drafts of the paper. The client can upload extra material and include additional instructions from the lecturer. Receive a paper.
The paper is sent to your email and uploaded to your personal account. You also get a plagiarism report attached to your paper.
PLACE THIS ORDER OR A SIMILAR ORDER WITH US TODAY AND GET A PERFECT SCORE!!!
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more